Saturday, December 21, 2013

England off-spinner Graeme Swann announces retirement

England off-spinner Graeme Swann has made a shocking announcement, deciding to retire from international cricket with immediate effect.

The off-spinner, who made his Test debut against India in 2008, has ended his career with 255 Test wickets, including 17 five-wicket hauls and 3 ten-wicket hauls, from 60 matches at an average of 29.96. He has finished sixth on the list of highest England wicket-takers, while he occupies the second spot for an England spinner with most wickets.

Despite struggling with an elbow injury in recent years Swann has played a part in the three Ashes series victories and helped England become the number one ranked side in the world in 2011. However, he had a disappointing outing in the latest trip Down Under, picking up only 7 wickets in three Tests at an average of 80.

Swann has also played 79 ODIs for England, making his debut in 2000 at the age of 20 against South Africa in Bloemfontein. The off-spinner has claimed 104 wickets and in 2011 was the number one ranked ODI bowler. Swann has been a key member of England's T20 squad since making his debut in 2008 against New Zealand, helping England to the T20 WC title in 2010 and captaining the side three times in 2011.

Addressing a press conference in Melbourne, Swann said it was a difficult decision to make but he felt that it was the right time to call it a day.

"After a great deal of consideration I have decided to call it a day on my international and first class career. This decision has been very difficult seeing as the England team has been my family for seven years now, but I feel that now is the right time to step down," he said.

Swann said his personal highlights, which he will cherish for the rest of his life include the three Ashes victories apart from the World T20 win.

"I don't regret a single day of my career. Every high has been celebrated with verve and vigour and every low painfully accepted as a chance to learn and improve. My personal highlights include the three Ashes victories, of which I will cherish for the rest of my life, and the World T20 victory in the West Indies which ranks as my limited overs highlight. I have met, played with and against, and become friends with some magnificent people throughout my journey and feel truly privileged to have been given these opportunities."

Apart from quitting international cricket, Swann also announced that he will not be playing first-class cricket any longer. He thanked the Northamptonshire and Nottinghamshire County Cricket Clubs for providing him opportunities.

"I'd also like to pay tribute to both Northamptonshire County Cricket Club for giving me my grounding in the game and Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club for turning me into the cricketer I wanted to be. Two Championship titles and my maiden one day final victory with the Outlaws are also achievements of which I am immensely proud."

Swann, who had a disappointing Ashes series, picking up only 7 wickets in the first three Tests, said it was time another spinner takes over the mantle.

"With two games to go in Australia and then a fiercely competitive summer against Sri Lanka and India I feel that it is a great time for someone else to strap themselves in and hopefully enjoy the ride as much as I have."

The off-spinner thanked his team-mates, the coach and the captain for their support and wished good luck for England cricket.

"Finally I'd like to thank all my England team mates for their non-stop support and camaraderie and of course wish Andy Flower and Alastair Cook all the success in the world for the future. First and foremost I am a fervent England fan at heart."

England Team Director Andy Flower congratulated Swann for his contributions to England cricket while mentioning that the dressing room will be different without a lively character like him.

"Graeme Swann has made an outstanding contribution to the England cricket team in all formats throughout an incredibly successful career and I would like to congratulate him on all that he has achieved. His commitment, competitive spirit and sense of humour have been recognised and admired by team mates and supporters alike and he has played a big part in England's success over the last five years."

"The dressing room will be a very different place without Graeme's unique personality and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future," Flower added.          by cricbuzz

0 comments:

Post a Comment